Each student will have a copy of reference textbook, to use to further explain topics of interest & assist in research for projects and homework. The reference textbook is not a part of the College Board approved curriculum, but does provide students with more information. This textbook is McDougal & Little and is the approved textbook of the Reading School District World History/Cultures curriculum
The main focus of our textbook reading is The Earth and Its People, 5e. This text is College Board approved and is an Advanced Placement text. Having not been able to get the textbook under review by the school board for purchasing - students will work on chapter printings. This was a choice of the instructor to ensure students develop note-taking skills. Students can sign-out one chapter at a time to create chapter outlines, which are described on the note-taking page. The student's chapter outlines should be in one bound notebook to facilitate this as a study aide. These outlines should act a each student's 'personal textbook' and utilized in review for both class exams as well as the National AP exam.
Other excerpts will be utilized throughout the year but these are the main textbooks utilized in the course.
Students are required to complete a summer reading and log which is due during the first quarter. The summer reading assignment was designed to expand student knowledge of historical analysis and scholarship. Texts vary in focus, perspective and format. A list is provided below, but there are is a collection of used summer reading texts available to students at a discount in the classroom - these are sold on a first come first serve basis.
· Achebe, C. (1959). Things fall Apart
· Diamond, J. M. (1999) Guns, Germs and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies
· Crosby, A. W. (2003) Columbian Exchange: Biological and Cultural Consequences of 1492
· Harman, C. (1999) A People’s History of the World
· Harris, M. (1974) Cows, Pigs, Wars, and Witches: The Riddles of Culture
· Hochschild, A. (1999) King Leopold’s Ghost: A Story of Greed, Terror and Heroism in Colonial Africa
· Irving, W. (1978) Tales of the Alhambra
· Kurlansky, M. (2003). Salt: A World History
· Mann, C. C. (2006) 1491 New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus
· Maalouf, A. (1986) Leo Africanus
· Dunn, R. E. (1986) The Adventures of Ibn Battuta: A Muslim Traveler of the 14th Century
· Markandaya, K. (1982) Nectar in a Sieve
· McNeil, J. R., & McNeil, W. H. (2003) The Human Web
· Min, A. (1994) Red Azalea